Town of Wakefield, Massachusetts, Fire Department Press Release
Open Burning Season commences January 15, 2013
The Wakefield Fire Department announced today that the annual open burning season will commence on Tuesday, January 15, 2013, and continue until Wednesday, May 1, 2013. Open burning is allowed each year by the Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection, and supervised by the local municipal fire departments.
In order to burn in the open during this period, residents must obtain a permit from the Wakefield Fire Department:
- Residents can call the Fire Department at 781-246-6432 after 7:30 AM to obtain a permit. (Residents do NOT need to visit the Public Safety Building)
- Permits are issued for two (2) consecutive days; however, should the resident desire to burn on the second day, he/she must call the Fire Department at 781-246-6432 to confirm that burning is being allowed.
- The Wakefield Fire Department reserves the right to revoke any or all permits if weather conditions are unfavorable to safe burning, or if the resident is found not to be following the rules for burning.
The Rules and Regulations for burning are as follows:
- Burning must be at least 75 feet from all structures.
- Burning must be carried out between 10:00 AM and 4:00 PM.
- Burning must take place on land closest to the source of the material being burned.
- The fire must be attended until it is completely extinguished.
- A water supply such as a hose or water pump can, and shovels / rakes for controlling the fire must be available.
- Materials that can be burned under state regualtions include brush, cane, driftwood, tree prunning, and other forestry. Materials PROHIBITED from burning include grass, leaves, hay, stumps, building materials, and trees.
The Wakefield Fire Department asks for the co-operation of all residents in order to ensure that the 2013 Open Burning Season is safe and convenient for all.
For further information please contact:
Chief Micheal Sullivan @ 781-246-6435